Wednesday, July 13, 2011

-Five- Job

Job
Today’s Reading: Job 38:1-11 and Job 42:1-6
Focal Verses: Job 42:5-6
I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You. Therefore, I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Job? And grace? I wanted to skip the book, thinking there was no way I would find grace here…but, I did.
Job was a righteous man, and for reasons that only God, in His incredible wisdom, could understand was taken through a severe testing of his faith in God. He never lost faith, even though he lost his property and his children, endured immense physical pain, and faced misplaced criticism from his “friends”.
Job admits that he has sinned (Job 7:21 and Job 13:26), but knows that he lived righteously and was not wicked as his friends charged. He charges God with being unfair. I have to admit that as I was reading, I questioned why, too. Job was a godly man.
Then God answers Job and puts him (and me) in our places. Job 38:1-11 details questions God has of Job. As I read, my arrogance melts as I realized the magnificence of God and how little I know. As Job repents in 42:1-6, I repent also.
My God is a gracious God. The many times I think I know better, He reminds me who He is and restores me with grace, just as He did with Job. God chastised Job’s “friends” for they spoke falsely about Job. He also gives Job back double what He had.
What I have realized is that God doesn’t owe us anything. When trouble comes our way, we say “Why me?”. What I really think should happen is that when good things come our way, we should say “Why me?”. We have not and cannot earn God’s grace. He gives it freely to those who believe in Him. He gave Job the grace to endure the horrors he went through, just as He gives every true believer the grace to endure to the end.



Thank God for His grace in the good and the bad. Pray for grace for those you know who may be going through a “Job” time.

No comments:

Post a Comment