Friday, November 18, 2011

-Fifty Nine- Burned Out?

Burned Out?
Today’s Reading: 1 Kings 19:1-18
Focal Verse: 1 Kings 19:4b
And he prayed that he might die, and said, “It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!”

Fear and fatigue are powerful enemies. Even God’s servants can fall prey to them.

Elijah faced both these enemies right after a wonderful display of the power of God and answered prayer. But Elijah was human. He faced constant danger. He felt like he was fighting God’s battle alone, and he was tired.

In His grace, God answered Elijah’s needs. First, He gave him food and water to sustain him for the journey. Elijah didn’t even have to cook it. Next, God showed Elijah He could sustain him for the 40 day and 40 night journey. I think the solitude must have been soothing to Elijah’s nerves.

There, Elijah waited for God. After a display of His power, the LORD met Elijah in a still, small voice. The Lord listened to Elijah’s concerns and then revealed the next step of His plan to him.

It is a great comfort to me that when I grow weary fighting the battle, the Lord is there. He is there to sustain me. He is there to give me periods of rest and a hope beyond the present circumstances. He listens to me… and then reveals a little more of Himself. What a merciful Father!

Are you weary or frightened? Make time to meet with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment