Thursday, August 18, 2011

-Twenty- The Man God Chose As Priest

The Man God Chose as Priest
Today’s Reading: Exodus 28:1 and Exodus 32:1-4
Focal Verse: Exodus 28:1a
“Now take Aaron your brother, and his sons with him, from among the children of Israel, that he may minister to Me as priest..”

We expect those who lead us in worship to live their lives in a way that would be pleasing to God. We would never expect one of our worship leaders to unveil an idol for us to worship on a Sunday morning. So why would God choose someone to lead others in worship to Him that would bend so easily to the will of the people, and offer worship to an idol? God knew this when He chose Aaron. Even though I had been studying and meditating on God’s grace, this one was still difficult. I asked my daughter the question. She answered, “Maybe it was simply to show His grace.”

The truth is..grace is completely a mystery to me. We live in a world that places value on performance. Grace, by definition, is unmerited. I have received God’s grace in my life. I didn’t earn it. God uses me and I am unworthy. I may not stand in front of a statue in worship, but at times my heart is focused on things of this world instead of God.

So I’m not so different than Aaron. The story becomes a comfort instead of a struggle. Beautiful, mysterious grace.


Although God gives us grace, out of our love for Him we don’t want to abuse it. If there are any “idols” you are worshipping, turn away from them and back to the God of grace who will forgive your weakness.

No comments:

Post a Comment