Friday, August 19, 2011

-Twenty One- The Golden Calf


The Golden Calf

Today’s Reading: Exodus 32 and Exodus 34:10
Focal Verse: Exodus 34:10
And He said: “Behold, I make a covenant. Before all your people I will do marvels such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation; and all the people among whom you are shall see the work of the LORD. For it is an awesome thing that I will do with you.”


I made a promise to my husband when I married him. As many others do, I promised “till death do us part.” I have to admit quite honestly, though, that if he committed adultery, I might have to rethink that.

Not so with God. He performed miracles and wonders to rescue the Israelites from the bondage of slavery. They became impatient and uncertain due to Moses’ delay in coming down from the mountain, and they were quick to find other gods. They had their priest mold a cold, dead, golden calf that they could worship as a pitiful substitute for their powerful, living God.

What is your “golden calf”? When God isn’t working “fast enough” for you, or you look away from Him in times of panic, what do you turn to?

Exodus 34:10 is a renewal of God’s commitment to His adulterous people. When you and I come before His throne and repent, He extends grace to us, too. It truly is “an awesome thing” that He did for them, and for us today. Grace for worshippers of “golden calves”.



We all have things we are tempted to turn to instead of God. Lay down your “golden calf” to Him and receive peace of His forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment